This Week In Google Podcast


This Week In Google or TWIG is a podcast that mainly covers everything surrounding Google and cloud computing. Their hosts are technology experts Leo Laporte, Gina Trapani and Jeff Jarvis. They also discuss the latest news, gadgets and controversies in the tech world. TWIG is a podcast under the TWIT umbrella a podcast network founded by technology broadcaster Leo Laporte.





This Week In Google records a new episode live every Wednesday at 4pm eastern. I watched their most recent podcast This Week In Google 452. This week they had special guests Mike Elgan and Kevin Marks. Mike Elgan is a chief editor for a variety of technology publications including Windows Magazine. Kevin Marks regularly publishes technology blogs and is one of the founders of Microformats. 


A large part of this weeks podcast is a discussion about the Facebook data controversy and Mark Zuckerberg's Senate testimony. Mark Zuckerberg was in the hot seat, answering questions from various senators about Facebook. Facebook allowed Cambridge Analytica to use data that was collected from 87 million Facebook users. This data was used to help political representatives influence voter opinion in their favor. This was the reason for the Facebook CEO's senate hearing. 

From this episode I learned how companies should and should not use their users data/information. There are good ways that companies can use data to help improve their product. Such as using this data to help improve the customization of their product. In my opinion I feel that we should hold Facebook responsible for the mishandling of their users information. I think that users should have a say whether they'd want their data used or how they would want their data used. Facebook needs to be more transparent on how they are using their data, there's much more that we don't know about Facebook. Ultimately, I think that data collection is a good thing for technology. I feel that we need to seriously think about not only the regulation of Facebook but how they go about it.

Comments

  1. Two thoughts:

    1. I'm very interested to see what happens with Facebook. I have to admit, Facebook had a great business model: offer a free service and run ads. And I have to wonder if new regulation would result in Facebook having a fee for service. Would you pay to use Facebook? I assume most people would say no and move on to a new social media platform. Facebook, unfortunately, sold user data to a company that used it inappropriately, and now they're in limbo trying to fix it, which leads me to my next thought.

    2. To "make this better", Facebook announced it will combat fake news. They've already started flagging conspiracy theories and users that promote fake news. Some Congressmen/women even brought this up to Mark Zuckerberg. Facebook is going to have to tread very lightly doing this, because they may be accused of political bias.

    I found this clever tweet and thought it'd be fun to share: https://twitter.com/jeremypgordon/status/984123354415337473

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts